Altenew Layered Rose

Hi everyone. So, this is it – my card for Guest Star Stamper at the Color Throwdown challenge:

20180908_08021120180908_080223

The colours to use are red, orange, Kraft and green. I used a multitude of dies for this card – as you can see – and enjoyed some ink smooshing and water-colouring too. A win-win situation for me!

I took the Altenew Layered Rose die and cut all the layers out from the ink smooshed water-colour card in the orange, red and green. I used the Altenew water-colour pan set for these colours as I like the way they spread and layer. I stuck them together using spray glue and put them to one side whilst I played with the rest of the layout.

I die-cut the Altenew Watercolour Stripes Cover die out of Kraft, and two of the Altenew Leaf Frame Cover die also out of craft and layered them together, with the Leaf Frame die being rotated to add more interest.

Though I did play with white die-cuts too, I preferred the Kraft in the background on the white card base.

I took some of the fall-aways from the stripes cover die, stamped the sentiment from a Hero Arts stamp set on a white piece, and glued some of the Kraft fall-away pieces behind it to highlight it a little more. That is the reason they look ‘shabby’ – they are fall-aways from the die set, and therefore match with the background. Waste not want not!

You can see from behind the card that the day was a little dull and grey, so I thought the sentiment suited exactly right at the time!

I hope you join in and I can’t wait to see what you create for this colour scheme. ๐Ÿ™‚

swatch510

 

Starry Flowers

20180605_183301

Hell again. I have been water-colouring and ink smooshing and die-cutting…..phew. Great day!

20180605_183312

I used the Stampin Up ‘Peekaboo Peach‘ on some water-colour card. Well, I wet the card, put the ink on a large acrylic block, wet the block and just put it down on the wet card. I waited 5 minutes or so, then lifted the block up.

I was going for a more uneven look, but when I saw the ink was quite even – I liked the colour. I didn’t mess with it, just let it dry. Whilst it was drying, I stamped the flowers in Catherine Pooler ‘Peppermint Scrub‘ and heat embossed over that outline with a clear embossing powder. I didn’t want the ink to move outside each flower when I water-coloured it, and I didn’t want black for the outline – a more colourful outline was needed here.

I used theย ‘Peekaboo Peach’ again for the water-colouring, adding one layer, letting it dry, then going in again for some darkness near the centre of each flower.

And whilst this was drying – I can be impatient so I need to do things – I die-cut the Altenew water-colour stripes cover die, and then set-to putting my card together. Well – I did wait a few hours so things dried well and naturally. I find that heat setting it tends to reduce the intensity of the ink. I had to find something to do….so I made tea. ๐Ÿ™‚

The sentiment is from my new purchase (Seven Hills Crafts – again) and I will be playing with that stamp set in the next few days. (‘Flock yeah‘ from W Plus 9)

The layout of the card is inspired by the current Fusion Card Challenge, but I didn’t use the sketch this time, just the photo inspiration.

This card also ties in with the current challenge at As You Like it.ย This challenge is to say flora or fauna – and why….I do have some animal stamps, I play with them a little, but my choice is flowers – any day of the week. I find them so much more versatile, any colours can be used, in any format and layout – it just seems to work. Clean and simple, or more elaborate – flowers all the way! (and I have three cats, too)

Toulouse background

Hello again. I have made variations of colours with this card layout, using a couple of recent purchases.

The card was inspired by the current challenge from Inspired By All The Little Things, using their photo inspiration.

I used the Memory Box ‘Toulouse Background‘ die, which I think matches the florals in the photograph, and I cut it out of a range of water-coloured card I had been using my Brushos and Distress Oxides on. I must say my fingers were definitely multi-coloured once I had finished playing!

The floral die was stuck down onto the Altenew ‘Water-colour Stripes Cover Die’ which I kept white for a more subtle background to the floral image. I initially stuck it down with Crafters Companion spray adhesive – again I am disappointed in that spray. The floral image came away from the background yet again, so much so that I could peel it away and run it through my Xyron machine for a more permanent adhesive. I think I’ll call into my local Crafters Companion shop to see if I am doing anything wrong!

Here are the other cards I made along the same theme:

The sentiments are all from Stamps By Me, using Versafine black onyx. The variations in the cards and the die cut-out are my me removing part of the frame just to see what effect it gives. I do like to snip my die-cuts occasionally.

Even though this looks quite a simple card to put together, it did take some faffing around with the glue, and re-gluing – annoying! Gotta love the Xyron!